Jul 6, 2023

37 Years Sober

37 Years Sober

By Andrea Tadpole-Broussard 

7/5/1986

Today I quietly celebrated 37 years sober. To say that I am grateful is a huge understatement. There are several angels that I owe my life to. They were there in the beginning and continued to love me and guide me through the 12 steps Carla McHenry, her brother Lewis, Harold Inman, George Gibbs, Bonnie, Beverly and Ozart, and so many others. They believed in me when I could find nothing to believe in much less myself.

When I look at all I have been through since I got sober, my heart feels so blown away. Here I was this 10 foot tall, bullet proof, pissed off at the world, 23 year old girl. At least that is the attitude I projected to everyone to keep people away. My whole life revolved around finding and using alcohol and drugs to the point I nearly lost custody of my kids. It was only God's grace that kept us together.

I have been so blessed since I got sober. Life has not been perfect. I have made many mistakes and stupid choices along the way. Yet, God has always been there for me. His grace and mercy are neverending.

I have been fortunate enough to raise my children, Sedrick and Alicia and they are beautiful adults now They make me proud. They have given me the most amazing grandchildren!

Destiny, Kaylee, Bella, Courtney and Michael all have my heart. I see the future in their eyes. My oldest granddaughter Destiny is going to make me a great-grandmother soon too! How awesome is that?

I know that without my sobriety I would have died many years ago. I would have missed out on some of the most beautiful moments with my family. Those are things money cannot buy. So, I am very grateful to God for keeping me clean and sober one day at a time since 7/5/1986.


No comments:

Post a Comment