May 26, 2023

A Day with My Grandson

A Day with My Grandson

5/26/23

By Andrea Tadpole-Broussard

My grandson Michael is 4 years old. He is the neatest little boy. He is so incredibly intelligent that people are amazed by him, especially me. He absolutely loves to learn. His mind is like a sponge and I am pretty sure he has a photographic memory.

He is totally amazed with the solar system. He knows planets, galaxies, stars and all kinds of things I never knew existed! Currently his new obsession to learn about is the states of the United States. He knows all of the capitals and even some counties. He loves to look at globes and can already point out many countries. He likes to draw and paint and minecraft is his favorite video game.

He is an old, beautiful soul wrapped up in an amazing little boy. He is one of the greatest blessings in my life and I am in awe that God picked me to be his "GeGe".

Today was the first time I have gotten to hang out with him alone. He is finally big enough that his mom and dad, my son, are okay with it. We had a great time together. We went to see my mom, his great grandma. Then the 3 of us went out for lunch. After that we took my mom to shop for new, glass tables at the furniture store my son works at.

Michael loved every minute of seeing where is beloved daddy works. It reminded me of going to work with my dad one time when I was about his age. Those kind of moments are etched on a child's heart forever, I know they were on mine. Michael told me this was one of the "awesomest days of his life".

We did not do anything big or special. I did not spend massive amounts of money. We were just together. What I spent was time, time that I will gladly spend over and over again because it is worth more than anything in the world. We simply laughed, played and enjoyed eachother. Michael reminded me to live in the moment today. A 4 year old child still has the uncanny ability to do that and Michael is no exception.

Michael told me on the way to my mom's that he likes to draw and paint. He knows I am creative and we talked about our favorite colors. My mom is an artist and she paints. When we got to her house I showed him her paintings. She had just finished one of a fox and she showed it to him. He was so sweet! He looked at it and really studied it. Then he critiqued it. He said he loved the mountains and the snow. He told her it was beautiful! That made her day. My mom asked him what he would name the fox. He stood there for a minute and thought. He finally said he would name it Lupe. We were like, okay his name is Lupe then!

Always being the curious one and the one who forever looks for symbolism, I looked up the meaning of Lupe. It means from the river of the wolf. Michael and I are Cherokee on my father's side. We happen to be from the Wolf Clan. I took the opportunity to explain this to Michael. I want him to know at least some of my part of his heritage. My father died in 2022. I cannot help but think that this was his way of letting me know he was there with us.

I have been missing my daddy so desperately bad lately. Michael is the oil of joy for my aching heart. Today, God knew I needed to hang out with this little boy who has such a gorgeous mind and spirit. He reminded me to take joy in the little and simple things. He reminded me that no matter how bad my heart aches for my dad, I still have a life to live and it is beautiful. I have much to be grateful for, especially this little boy!

To my little grandson Michael, I do not have enough words to be able to tell you how very much I love you! Thank you for hanging with me and just loving me today. I cannot wait to do it again! ♥️♥️♥️

No comments:

Post a Comment