Oct 22, 2022

My Dad's Ashes

I wrote this to my granddaughter Destiny because she's missing her Grandpa, my Dad really bad...so am I.

My Dad's Ashes 

By Andrea Tadpole-Broussard 

Written October 22, 2022

I am going to tell you something that you might think is really weird. Somehow I find comfort in it though. When I got the idea to do the necklaces to memorialize your grandpa, I never thought in a million years that I would be the one to touch his ashes and make them for everyone. Yet, something in my heart pulled me to do it. I had never seen human ashes before so I had no idea what they looked like. When I opened his urn I was amazed because they looked so similar to the sand on a beach, especially the sand in Florida. 

The sand by the ocean is not pure and fine. It has small chunks of the world or maybe even the universe in it. My Dad's ashes looked like that. I kept thinking of the verse in the Bible that says "ashes to ashes, dust to dust". We all come from God and starlight and dust and that is where we return. I was thinking how huge my Dad was in everyone's life, especially mine. Yet, his body was reduced to ashes that were sacred and precious to me. I truly believe he wanted us to take a small piece of him with each of us because it symbolizes the tremendous love we had for him and he had for us. That love never dies. 

Destiny, if you, Bella, Courtney, your mom, Sedrick, Kaylee, Michael, Victoria, Chris, Linda, my Mom, Andre and even Zane and Jimmy could magnify the love you still feel for your grandpa times 1000, I still love you more than that and your grandpa loves you even more. All we have left at the end of our lives is the love we share. 

So, I have learned through my Father dying perhaps the most important lesson of all...
Do not take those you love for granted. One day they are here and the next they are gone. Things are not that important. The love we share is. 

So, my beautiful granddaughter, hold on tight to love you share with your grandpa and all of us. Love never dies.

No comments:

Post a Comment