Nov 7, 2019

Gratitude 11/7/19

Potato Soup

By Andrea Tadpole-Broussard

Today I am grateful for potato soup. I know you might think I am crazy but allow me to explain. Sometimes when I miss my loved ones who live far away or even ones in Heaven, memories will come to my mind. Here lately I have been missing my momma alot. She lives in Florida. I have also been deeply missing her momma, my grandmother Mary. She is in Heaven. Even though I know she is here in spirit there are days I just wish my mom and I could sit and have a cup of Tasters Choice instant coffee with grandma like we use to. It was her favorite coffee. I was so young back then I did not realize what a treasure those times were.

I started thinking about how my mom and my grandmother always cooked the best food when I was growing up. The other day it was cold and rainy and I was bored. I remembered on days like this one my mom and grandma would always whip up the best pot of potato soup. So, I set out to recreate it. Now, you need to understand that is no easy task for me. I am not naturally gifted at cooking like my mother is or like my grandmother was. I called my girlfriend, she sent recipes and I found some of my own.

I decided to add my own touch to the soup and added spicy sausage and velveeta cheese. The soup turned out okay but it was not perfect. My husband, who is a phenomenal cook ate it. I enjoyed it too. I had plenty left so I put up for another meal.

We decided to have it again for dinner this evening. I added more potatoes and some carrots and celery to it. The whole time I was messing around with it I had the greatest feeling of joy. I added a dash of this seasoning and dash of that one. I could hear my grandmother and great aunts Jessie and Frankie who have gone on to Heaven laughing and talking like they use to around the kitchen table at Thanksgiving. Memories of my mom cooking dinner when I was a child flooded my mind's eye.

Tonight the potato soup was even better than a few days before. All the flavors had gelled together and it tasted exquisite to me. My husband even said it was delicious. If you know him that's a major compliment! I suspect my grandmother threw in an extra dash love when I was not looking.

Once again, I realized how blessed I have been to have such strong and beautiful women in my life. None of them were or are perfect, no one ever is. Yet, I have always known in my heart they loved me no matter what, especially my momma and my grandmother.

God blows my mind most days with the things He uses to teach me and remind of His love. Today He used potato soup. Go figure! I will think of it the same.

I love you grandma Mary and momma!!

No comments:

Post a Comment