Oct 28, 2017

Sebastian

By Andrea Tadpole-Broussard

I have an orange, tiger cat named Sebastian. I succumbed to the pleadings of my granddaughter Destiny one day about 8 years ago and adopted him from our local Petsmart. At the time, I really did not want another cat but I could not say no to my granddaughter's big brown eyes. Sebastian should have been named Garfield because he is natured alot like that cartoon character. Everything is done on his terms and in his own time most days. He is however very attentive to me if I am sick or heartbroken. In times of trouble he never leaves my side. But, like I said on most normal days he is independent. He comes up for a pet one minute and turns surrly the next. He and I have a love-hate relationship the majority of the time.

Before I go any further I must explain that I believe animals have spirits and God puts them in our lives for a reason. I have had dogs, cats and birds who taught me lessons over the years when I slowed down and paid attention. Sebastian is no exception to this.

Sebastian has always had one ritual with me. I take a bath almost every night. He has to be in the bathroom with me when I bathe and often pushes his way in. I have learned to accept this as part of my bedtime ritual. Every night, there I am in the bathroom doing my stuff with Sebastian staring intently at me. I often wonder he is thinking but I guess it is better I do not know.

Tonight was nothing different. I went in to brush my teeth and run my bath water. I looked over and there was Sebastian straddling the open toilet about to fall in the water. He looked like he was hanging on for dear life. I reached over to help and he hissed at me as if he did not want or need my help. Just as he was about to fall in the water I grabbed him real fast, closed the lid and sat him back down. I finished brushing my teeth and got in the tub. He calmed down and just sat there staring at me like he always does.

While I was soaking I started thinking about how similar I am to Sebastian. I pray for God's help every day, but live my life as if I do not need Him. Even when He is there trying to tell me that I am going to fall in the water and help me, I push Him away like a stubborn old cat. Yet, He is always there to grab me before I fall in. If I would just trust Him in the first place I would save myself alot of heartache most of the time. Still, here I am a "Doubting Thomas" even though the touch of His hand is so apparent in my life.

I am so grateful that God never gives up on me and always finds ways to get my attention. He even uses a cat I never wanted, but really secretly love to teach me spiritual lessons. His grace and mercy is undeserved yet absolutely beautiful to me. I am once again in awe of my Creator.

No comments:

Post a Comment