Dec 6, 2023

Celebrating Me, My Bella and My Little Family

Celebrating Me, My Bella and My Little Family

By Andrea Tadpole-Broussard 

12/6/23

I need to celebrate something about me, my Bella, and my little family tonight. Today, my granddaughter, Bella, who is a senior in high school asked me to proofread an essay she wrote for a college entrance application and scholarship. I am the resident proofreader, so, I opened the file and started reading through it. Much to my amazement, part of what she wrote was about the impact I had in her life one time. It was when she and her mother and sister moved to New Jersey, away from me in Oklahoma. I told her it was okay to cry but then wipe your tears and get back up and enjoy the journey that God has laid out in front of you. I never once realized that she even listened to me. I usually think kids just think it is just their crazy grandma talking. But, she wrote in her essay that she has never forgotten what I said and that it has carried her through some of the most difficult times in her life. 

I know what my life purpose is, but I often think I am not living it. See, I have all these grandiose ideas of how I should be doing it and how terribly I am failing at it. Then, out of nowhere, my beautiful granddaughter Bella makes me realize that God uses me the most when I do not even know it.

I think about day one sober when I was 23 years old. I had no idea, in spite of all the hardship in my life, that I would be blessed with such beautiful children and grandchildren. I never once thought that I would ever do anything to help them, or that they would admire me. So, as I sit here and tears of gratitude stream my face, I am going to celebrate the woman I have become. Most of all, I am going to celebrate the miracle that God created in me, the beautiful woman my Bella is growing up to be, and the gift of my beautiful little family that I so deeply love.

No comments:

Post a Comment