Dec 10, 2022

60 Years Old

60 Years Old

December 10, 2022

By Andrea Tadpole-Broussard

Not too bad for 60, right? Oh hell!! How did I get to 60?! This cannot be correct!!! I am just now getting the hang of how to do this thing called life. Well, on to another decade!

I hope the next 10 years are better than my 50s were. I know they were not all bad. I got married and still am. I credit that to God! My grandson was born, my daughter graduated from college, 2 of my granddaughters graduated from high school and one from college too. God brought my family through the lock down and pandemic. I survived brain surgey. Sadly, my father died. That broke me into a zillion little pieces inside because I miss him desperately. Yet, I saw and still see God's hand at work all around me. He opened the doors for me to buy a house even when it looked impossible. I love my home! Then let us not forget my momma. We moved her back to Tulsa after a major health battle and the tragic loss of my stepdad Vernon. It has not been easy but she is still going, we are all still going.

I do not "feel" 60. I have never been 60 so I have no idea how to feel. For the most part, I am healthy. I still tire easily from the after effects of brain surgery. It is getting better though. In my mind I am still that young, beautiful 23 year old girl who was newly sober and excited about the future. By God's grace I have over 36 years of continuous sobriety. I think inside I am emotionally my sobriety age. I spent alot of my life blurring through life instead of living and enjoying it. I do my best to slow down and find the joy in life today. Losing my father taught me that.

God willing and if this earthly vessel called my body holds out, I hope I live another 60 years! Regardless I know in my heart that my latter days will be greater than my former days. When I think of my age, I am reminded of a story I read years ago about a woman who was a famous photographer. She did not even start taking pictures till she was 70!! My grandmother Lillian always told me that age is just a number, it is all about one's mind set. She lived well into her 90s. So, I still have time to learn new things, accomplish new goals and enjoy watching my beautiful family grow.

There is so much more I want to do in this life. Places to go, art to experience, loved ones to spend time and play with. Today, I have a job I enjoy. I do not ever plan to retire. Well, the recession years ago made that thought impossible. When I should have been saving for retirement, I was unemployed for 4 years. There were no jobs to be found anywhere. I pretty much lost everything, even a marriage, but I am still standing by God's grace and mercy. So, who knows what the future holds?

What I do know is I am blessed beyond measure. I have a beautiful little family and a tiny circle (by my choice) of very precious friends. God has restored what I lost and given me so much more. So, 60s here I come!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment