Aug 23, 2022

My New Journey with Quilting


Well, it's official in my mind now and I've taken outward action on it. After my father died my granddaughter Destiny Zelsnack gave me the idea of making a quilt out of his t-shirts that she got him over the years. So, the idea has been rolling around in my head ever since. I'm a very creative person although most people probably don't think so. I have watched a plethora of YouTube videos on quilting. I learned to sew as a teenager, that's the easy part for me. I found a method I like and I got most of my supplies. It has occurred to me that I have suddenly become a scrap material addict. I have my design all drawn out on graph paper with seam allowances factored in. I am expecting this to be similar to stained glass. You have your pattern but then along the way you encounter hiccups and have to adjust to them. Sounds alot like life doesn't it?

For me, creating something is a spiritual journey, no matter what it is that I'm doing. I had it all planned out that I would paint. I haven't painted in a long time. Yet, every time I tried something stopped me. When I started letting the ideas flow for a quilt, I felt my creative passion come back. I had a huge stack of old t-shirts that were my dad's. I started going through them. The first one I pulled out was the one with the Native American shown in the picture. My dad was a proud Cherokee man. When I saw the shirt I smiled because I knew my dad is guiding me through this. 

On the front side of the shirt is the statement, "We should understand well that all things are the works of the Great Spirit." I will figure out a way to add this to my first quilt. I know everything that is happening in my life is meant to be. We are never truly apart, even after death. We just have to be still and watch for signs.

I love you Daddy!

P.S. I will post pics of my progress once in awhile for everyone. Assuming the first turns out good I already have several other ideas in mind. Oh my, I need a bigger artroom already! 🤣🤪😁

No comments:

Post a Comment