Sep 17, 2026

Our Beautiful Sophia: Finding Strength In Her Smile

Our Beautiful Sophia: Finding Strength In Her Smile

By Andrea Tadpole-Broussard 

9/17/26

My great-granddaughter, Sophia, turned two this past January. She lives with several complex diagnoses, including level 3 autism, drug-resistant epilepsy, cerebral palsy, a rare brain disorder, and cortical visual impairment (CVI). Sophia is currently non-verbal and learning to walk, but she has recently started saying "Hi" and "Dada." Though her speech is a little garbled, her intention is entirely clear. She is already a determined mover who can crawl, pull herself up, and cruise along the couch and coffee table. Sophia also has a twin sister, Lakelyn, who is developing normally and is a constant source of encouragement for her.

Because our family has never cared for a child with special needs before, this is completely uncharted territory for us. To an outsider who doesn't know her, it might look like Sophia isn't fully present. But those of us blessed to know her intimately see the beautiful, joyful, and determined spirit inside her. Personally, I have been blessed to connect with her in a truly deep way.

Sophia may not use sentences yet, but she knows exactly how to get your attention and is incredibly inquisitive. I will never forget the first time she pulled herself up, which happened right at my house. I watched her crawl over to a chair, sit there, and just study it. After several focused attempts, she finally pulled herself up to a standing position. The room had been in total silence, but the moment she stood, we all erupted in cheers. Her smile, which is always bright, shone brighter than the sun at that moment. She immediately sat back down and did it over and over again, eventually figuring out how to cruise over to the nearby coffee table.

With Sophia, we celebrate the small milestones because we know they eventually transform into major victories. We feel profoundly blessed to care for, teach, and love her. In just two short years, Sophia has taught me more about resilience, joy, and fierce determination than anyone else I have ever known. She has shown me never to make assumptions about a person based on outward appearances because you never know what immense beauty, love, and perseverance live inside.

I recently broke my ankle and am finally allowed to bear weight again using a boot and walker. Recovery from this has not been easy for me. When I get discouraged, I think of our beautiful Sophia and her relentless determination, immeasurable joy and beautiful smile. It gives me strength to keep going for another day.

I will always love you more Sophia!
GeGe 💜🌟

No comments:

Post a Comment